Foreign Language and Literature Bibliography (Subject Bibliographies) Published in the Japanese Language
This webpage introduces search tools (subject bibliographies) chiefly in the Japanese language available mainly in the Tokyo Main Library Humanities Room to find reference resources (books, journal articles, etc.) related to foreign languages and literatures.
To search for journal articles, please refer to Article Index of Periodicals in Japanese.
Numbers shown in brackets 【 】 indicate the NDL call number for an item.
The [Range] field indicates the range of years during which the material of interest was cataloged and material format.
1. Asian Language and Asian Literature
1-1. Chinese Literature
2. English Language, and British and American Literature
2-1. British Literature
2-2. American Literature
3. French and French Literature
4. German and German Literature
5. Comparative Literature
In addition to the below, please refer to the contents in Search Guides on Asia > Art, Language, Literature.
- Annual Bibliography of Oriental Studies, 7th edition (Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University)
[Range] 1934-1980, 2001-present. Books, journal articles (Japanese, Chinese, Western languages)
[Notes] The two classifications provided: 'literature' and 'philology'. In addition to the above, as follows below is also available.
・1981-2000: Annual Bibliography of Oriental Studies, 6th edition
・1984-present: "Annual bibliography of oriental studies" 【Z41-2914】
・1963-1983: "Toyogaku bunken ruimoku" 【GE1-1】
・1961-1962: "Toyogaku kenkyu bunken ruimoku" 【GE1-1】
・1934-1960: "Toyoshi kenkyu bunken ruimoku" 【GE1-1】
- "Chugoku bungaku kenkyu bunken yoran" (Bibliography of research literature on Chinese literature) (Nichigai Associates)
1945-1977 (postwar) (1979 【KK61-12】)
Classical literature 1978-2007 (2008 【KK61-J2】)
Modern and contemporary literature 1978-2008 (2010 【KK61-J3】)
[Range] Books, journal articles
[Index] Subject, author name *1945-1977 (postwar) includes personal names, and titles of literary works and books.
- Yukio Abe, Ikuko Sasaki, ed., "Nihon ni okeru chugoku bungaku kenkyu bunken mokuroku: gendai/todai" (Bibliography of research literature on Chinese literature in Japan: modern era/present-day) (1977-1980), (1981-1982), (1983-1985) (Henkosha 1981-1985 【KK61-19】)
[Range] 1977-July 1985. Books, journal articles
[Organization] Part 1: Journal articles, Part 2: Books
[Order] Chiefly by publication month and year
This book includes literature on Chinese literature from the beginning of the Republic of China.
- "Eigo nenkan" (Kenkyusha yearbook of English) (Kenkyusha 【Z42-25 et al.】)
[Range] Books and journal articles published from April of the second preceding year to March of the previous year
[Index] Classified index of 'Personal research achievement by researcher'
[Notes] 'Review and perspective for each society of English linguistics, British and American literature, and English language education' introduces trends of research and related literature. Users can browse the publications of researchers in the 'List of personal research achievement by researcher'.
- Matsuji Tajima, author and editor; Yoko Ieiri [et al.], coeditor, "Wagakuni ni okeru eigogaku kenkyu bunken shoshi" (Bibliography of English linguistics research in Japan) (Nan'undo 1998 【KS11-G3】)
[Range] 1900-1996. Writings and translations, research papers, research notes, etc. by Japanese people
[Order] Subject> Author name in Japanese alphabetical order
[Index] Author name, editor name, translator name
- "Eibei bungaku kenkyu bunken yoran" (Bibliography of research literature on British and American literature) (Nichigai Associates 【KS71-J1 et al.】)
[Range] 1945-2009. Books, parts of books, and journal articles published in Japan
[Index] Writer name (in Japanese), title of literary work or book (Japanese title and original title), author name, item (*item index covers 1965-1974 only)
- 'Nihon ni okeru eikoku shosetsu kenkyu shoshi' (Bibliography of research literature on British novel published in Japan) *included in "Eikoku shosetsu kenkyu" (Japanese research on British novel) vol.7, 8 and 9 (Shinozaki Shorin 1966-1969 【933-E38】)
Yoshizo Miyazaki [et al.], ed., "Nihon ni okeru eikoku shosetsu kenkyu shoshi (Bibliography of research literature on British novel published in Japan) Showa 43-47 (1968-1972), Showa 48-52 (1973-1977), Showa 53-56 (1978-1981), Showa 57-60 (1982-1985) (Kazama Shobo 【KS71-1】)
[Range] 1965-1985. Books, journal articles
[Order] Publication year of research literature > Four classifications: novel in general, eighteenth century novel (including before), nineteenth century novel, and twentieth century novel
[Index] Author name
[Notes] Annotation attached to a part of literature
- Masao Tsunematsu [et al.], ed., "America bungaku kenkyu shiryo jiten: america kenkyu tosho kaidai" (Dictionary of American literature research materials: a bibliographic introduction to American research books) (Nan'undo 1994 【KS181-E3】)
[Range] Books published chiefly up to May 1987 (*including a part of special topics of journals)
[Organization] Part 1: Japanese translation of 'A field guide to the study of American literature' (1976), Part 2: 'Research materials published in Japan'
[Index] Part 2 includes personal/organization name index, and book title index. Both types of indexes are in Japanese and English.
[Notes] Part 2 includes bibliographies (American literature, American studies, etc.), list of research publications classified by major authors, and annotation.
- "France bungaku kenkyu bunken yoran: 1945-1978 (sengo hen)" (Bibliography of research literature on French literature: 1945-1978 (postwar volume)) 5 volumes (Nichigai Associates 1981 【KR81-2】)
"Furansugo France bungaku kenkyu bunken yoran" (Bibliography of research literature on French language and French literature) (Nichigai Associates 1984-2012 【KR81-J3 et al.】)
[Range] 1945-2009. Books, journal articles, book review journals, monthly reports included in collection books, doctoral dissertations, and reports provided as a result of the grants-in-aid for scientific research (KAKENHI).
[Index] Titles of literary work or book (Japanese titles and original titles), author name. Index of items and author names (in Japanese) covers 1945-1978 only.
[Notes] Volumes covering years before 2000 contain research literature published by Japanese researchers in Japan and abroad, and writings by non-Japanese scholars in Japan. Volumes covering years in and after 2001 contain research literature published in Japan and book critiques and reviews as well.
- Bibliographical Database of the Japanese Society for German Studies
[Range] Books and journal articles on German linguistics, literature, and culture published in Japan
- "Doitsu bungaku kenkyu bunken yoran. 1945-1977 (sengo hen)" (Bibliography of research literature on German literature. 1945-1977 (postwar volume)) (Nichigai Associates 1979 【KS331-1】)
[Range] 1945-1977. Books, journal articles
[Index] Items, writer name (in Japanese), titles of literary work or book (Japanese titles and original titles), author name
- "Hikaku bungaku kenkyu bunken yoran: 1945-1980. Nihon kindai bungaku to seiyo bungaku" (Bibliography of comparative literature research: 1945-1980. Modern Japanese literature and Western literature) (Nichigai Associates 1984 【KE111-27】)
[Range] 1945-1980 Books, journal articles
[Index] Author name