Article Index of Periodicals in Japanese
This webpage introduces indexes for Japanese periodicals in the field of Humanities and Social Science from the perspective of two periods.
Numbers shown in brackets 【 】 indicate the NDL call number for an item.
- National Diet Library Digital Collection
Users can search the table of contents of periodicals digitized by the NDL. In the "Advanced Search" screen, please select "Periodicals" in Material Type, and enter a title or author's name in the Table of Contents field.
- The Complete Database for Japanese Magazine and Periodicals from Meiji Era to the Present (Zassaku Plus) (subscription database at the NDL: in-library use only)
Users can search data included in CiNii Articles (mentioned in 2) in addition to "Meiji Taisho Showa Zenki Zasshikiji Sakuin Shusei" below. However, they cannot search abstracts or full text of CiNii Articles.
- "Meiji Taisho Showa Zenki Zasshikiji Sakuin Shusei" (Complete Article Index of Japanese Magazine and Periodicals from Meiji Era to the Early Showa Era) All 124 books (Koseisha 1994-1999 【UP54-E16】)
[Recording range] Meiji period-1948 (Showa 23)
This database includes articles from national and regional magazines published in Japan and its former colonies.
- Koseisha Database (Koseisha)
This database provides the author's index of "Meiji Taisho Showa Zenki Zasshikiji Sakuin Shusei".
- Edited by Shimotomae Shigematsu "Zasshi Sakuin" First volume 1, First volume 2, Second volume (Zasshi Sakuin Publishing Office 1932-1939) (National Diet Library Digital Collection: First volume 1, First volume 2, Second volume)
Edited by Shimotomae Shigematsu "Zasshikiji Sakuin: Senzen Zasshikiji Sakuin" (Prewar Periodicals' Articles Index) All four books (Ozorasha Shuppan 1994 【UP54-E13】) ※Reprinted edition of the above
[Recording range] Meiji period-1941 (Showa 16)
- "Nihon Shigen Bunken Mokuroku 1880-1950" (Bibliography on Natural Resources 1880-1950) All five books (Prime Minister's Office, Resources Research Committee 1953-1957 【602.9-So653n】)
[Recording range] 1880 (Meiji 13)-1950 (Showa 25)
Users can search the literature on Japanese resources published in major domestic journals.
〈Early Meiji Period〉
- "Meiji Zenki Gakujyutsu Zasshi Ronbunkiji Soran" (A bibliography of articles in early Meiji periodicals, academic/scientific/technical) (Revised edition Yumani Shobo 1990 【UP54-E5】)
[Recording range] Until 1887 (Meiji 20)
Users can research articles about Japan in academic articles in the fields of science, engineering, and agriculture, as well as foreign academic journals. This material can also be used as an index of "Meiji Zenki Gakujyutsu Zasshi Ronbunkiji Shusei" All 35 books (Yumani Shobo 1989 【US15-E30】) which contains the text of the articles.
〈Period during the War and Occupation〉
- Co-authored by Fukushima Juro and Ookubo Hisao "Senjika no Genron" (Writing in Time of War) (Nichigai Associates 1982 【GB1-67】, Reprinted edition 1995 【GB1-E64】)
This material is an author's index of "Daitoa Senso Shoshi" (Bibliography of the Great East Asia War) (Nichigai Associates 1981 【GB1-61】, Revised edition 1995 【GB1-E65】) which are accumulated and reedited periodical article indexes included in "Tokyodo Geppo" published from 1937 (Showa 12) until 1944 (Showa 19)
- 20th Century Media Information Database (Institute of Intelligence Studies, Japan) (Non subscription database at the National Diet Library)
[Recording range] 1945 (Showa 20) to 1949 (Showa 24)
This is a paid database which enables users to search articles of all journals and some newspapers of the Gordon W. Prange Collection (A comprehensive collection of Japanese print publications issued during the early years of the Occupation of Japan. For details, please refer to Gordon W. Prange Collection in Research Navi).
- NDL Online (Japanese Periodicals Index)
Users can search the NDL's Japanese Periodicals Index and the table of contents of periodicals held in the National Diet Library digital collection. Please search by entering a title or author's name in the keyword field. If a user selects "Material Type: Articles" in "Refine Your Search", they can see selected and indexed articles. If a user selects "Material Type: Periodicals", they can see the table of contents in Japanese periodicals held in the Diet Library Digital Collection. Users can see relevant periodicals and periods of the Japanese Periodicals Index in List of Indexed Periodicals in the Japanese Periodicals Index.
- National Diet Library Digital Collection
Users can search the table of contents of periodicals digitized by the NDL. Please select "Material Type: periodicals" on the "Advanced Search" screen and enter a title or author's name in the Table of Contents field.
- The Complete Database for Japanese Magazine and Periodicals from Meiji Era to the Present (Zassaku Plus) (Subscription database at the NDL: in-library use only)
Users can search data included in CiNii Articles (mentioned in 2) below. However, they cannot search abstracts or full texts of CiNii Articles.
- CiNii Articles (National Institute of Informatics)
This is an index database of Japanese academic journals. Users can search abstracts and full texts. Also, they can search data included in the NDL's Japanese Periodicals Index and J-STAGE. (For details, please see CiNii Articles Incorporated Databases)
- "Gakkai Nenpo Kenkyu Hokoku Ronbun Soran" (The compendium of academic reports and theses) (Nichigai Associates)
[Recording range] 1945 (Showa 20)- Users can search theses published in the annual research reports on humanities and social sciences in Japan.
- "Zenkoku Tankidaigaku Kiyo Ronbun Sakuin" (Bulletin of Junior College's Theses Index in Japan) (Saitama Fukushikai Social Welfare Corp, et al. 1981-1996)
[Coverage range] 1950 (Showa 25) year-1991 (Heisei 3) March
- "Shiritsudaigaku Tankidaigaku Kiyorui Ronbundaimoku Sakuin" (Bulletin of Private University and Junior College's Theses Index in Japan) (Tokyo Colleges Association 1968-1977 【UP54-10】)
[Recording range] January 1967 (Showa 42) to March 1977 (Showa 52)
- Web OYA-bunko (Oya Soichi Library) (Subscription database at the NDL: in-library use only)
This is the database version of "Oya Soichi Bunko Zasshikiji Kensaku Somokuroku" which is shown below. Users can search articles before 1987 by catalog only, and articles from 1988 to the present by free word search, personal name, and subject item. Users can use the terminals in the NDL's Special Materials Rooms to search the materials.
- Fujisan.co.jp (Fujisan Magazine Service)
This is an advanced search of periodicals on online stores. Users can search by keyword in the "Table of contents" field by selecting "specific issue" in the "search target" field. This is a useful search if an article has not been included in the major periodicals index (most search target periodicals were published in 2000 or later).
- "Oya Soichi Bunko Zasshikiji Kensaku Somokuroku" (The Indexes of Magazine Articles of The Oya Soichi Library)
All 20 books (Oya Soichi Library 1985-1997)
[Covering range] Meiji period-1995 (Heisei 7).
These materials contain articles held by the Oya Soichi Library such as weekly magazines, general monthly magazines, women's magazines, economic magazines, and specialty magazines, which are classified roughly into personal names and subject editions.
- "Sogoshi Kiji Sakuin" (Index of General Magazines Articles) (Nichigai Associates 1988-2007)
[Recording range] 1981 (Showa 56) to 2006 (Heisei 18)
Users can search articles on specific persons, groups, houses, companies, organizations, news and incidents published in major domestic general magazines.
- "Shukanshi Kiji Sakuin 1981-1987" (Index of Weekly Magazines Articles 1981-1987) Person, Company･Organization, News･Event (Nichigai Associates 1988 【UP54-E1】)
[Recording range] 1981 (Showa 56)-June1987 (Showa 62)
Related Search Guides, etc.
- Articles and Theses *in Japanese
- Comprehensive Table of Contents and Index of Periodicals in Japanese *in Japanese
- Comprehensive Table of Contents of Children's Periodicals *in Japanese
- Institutions which hold Pre-war Periodicals *in Japanese
- Humanities Links (Periodical Indexes)